Saturday, March 25, 2023

Lent, Day 28: THE POSSIBILITIES OF GOD'S AMAZING GRACE

Scripture:   Psalm 51:1-12 


Focus on the Word


"Create in me a pure heart, O God, 

and renew a steadfast spirit within me."


There aren't a lot of people in our culture crying out to God, "Create in me a pure heart."  There aren't many people even in God's church who are crying out, "Create in me a pure heart."  They're crying out, "Bless me…Help me…Meet my needs…Give me a miracle…Open doors… Increase my income…Heal me, but not much, "Create in me a pure heart."


Seeking to live a pure life in a tainted and broken world is a tricky business, and very often makes one the object of ridicule and laughter, if not disdain.  People who have never experienced the real Jesus in their lives simply won't get it.  Unless God awakens a spiritual hunger in them, faith in Christ will never make sense to them.  Going with the flow of a stream that will take them away from God and His lavished grace will be their story.  We ought not be surprised at this, however, because the Bible teaches us that people love darkness rather than light (See John 3:19).  

 

C. S. Lewis reminds us that, "It is easy to say ‘Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God,’ for only the pure in heart want to see God."  It's true, isn't it?  There are lots of people in the world who simply don't want to see God.  Once people have gotten a glimpse of the real Jesus, not the one so often presented in cultures, however, something awakens in them that opens up their hearts to the possibilities of God's amazing grace.  They then begin to understand the thoughts of A. W. Tozer when he prayed, "O God, I have tasted Your goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more."


Lent is a time to slow down and experience God in fresh new ways, to listen, to taste His goodness, and to receive an inner satisfaction that feeds the hungry heart and quenches the thirst of the thirsty.  It really is okay for us to slow down, to draw near, to open our hearts to the outpoured grace of God, and to let God speak His purity into our lives. 

 

Want to put a smile on the face God?  What to put a smile on your face?  Pray this prayer, "Create in me a pure heart."

Today’s Prayer


Almighty God, to you all hearts are open, all desires known, and from you no secrets are hid: Cleanse the thoughts of my heart by the inspiration of your Holy Spirit, that I may perfectly love you, and worthily magnify your holy Name; through Christ our Lord. Amen.  

(Based on The 1979 Book of Common Prayer 

published by The Episcopal Church

No comments: