Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Lent, Day 25: REMEMBER

Scripture:   Psalm 107:1-16 


Focus on the Word


Sometimes it is in looking back we are enabled best to see what lies ahead.  For ancient Israel looking back was a worship experience that took them into the presence of God where they remembered and reflected and drew near to God.  They looked back and remembered that their God was a redeeming God, an Exodus God, a God who drew near and delivered His people.


In looking back the people got a fresh new look at their God, saw His faithfulness and His power, looked into their story and realized again that God is good (see Psalm 107:1).  Their story had not been an easy story but God was always in their story, leading and guiding and directing and teaching.  In looking back and seeing the hand of God all throughout their history they worshipped.  In their worship they called the people to "give thanks to the Lord for His lovingkindness, and for His wonders to the sons of me!  For He has shattered gates of bronze and cut bars of iron asunder" (Psalm 107:15-16, NASB).

We followers of Christ have a history with God in which, though we have failed and stumbled and faltered, God has been faithful.  Time and time again He has saved us out of our distresses and brought us out of darkness and the shadow of death (See Psalm 107:13-14, NASB). Like the ancients we, too, have "wandered in the wilderness" of our own world.   We have experienced trouble so that our souls, too, have "fainted within" us (See Psalm 107:4-6, NASB).  


Nobody gets out of this life without being banged up a bit, or a lot.  Yet in this life there is God who does not abandoned His people.  When we cry out to God He hears, and He is listening.  His life in the midst of our lives ignites a praise from deep inside our very being that gives thanks to God "for His lovingkindness is everlasting" (See Psalm 107:1, 13, NASB).


Lent is a set-apart time to bring our lives to God and cry out to Him for His mercy and grace and delivering presence.  It is a time to remember that we are not alone but that God is with us.  We're going to make it.  We might be banged up a bit, and the road may not always be easy; but we're going to make it.  God has "shattered the gates of bronze and cut bars of iron asunder" (Psalm 107:16, NASB).


Today’s Prayer


Behold, Lord, an empty vessel that needs to be filled. My Lord, fill it. I am weak in the faith; strengthen me. I am cold in love; warm me and make me fervent, that my love may go out to my neighbor. I do not have a strong and firm faith; at times I doubt and am unable to trust you altogether…Strengthen my faith and trust in you…I am a sinner; you are upright. With me, there is an abundance of sin; in you is the fullness of righteousness. Therefore I will remain with you, of whom I can receive, but to whom I may not give.  Amen.      (A prayer of Martin Luther) 

No comments: