Monday, March 02, 2020

Lent, Day 5: GETTING AND STAYING HONEST


Undealt with sin is a killer.  So, David begins the heartfelt poem of Psalm 32 with these words, “How blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered! How bless is the man to whom the Lord does not impute iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no deceit” (vs. 1-2).  Inner honesty and the intentional owning of one’s life, is perhaps the most freeing acts a human being can make.  To hide and cover up and make excuses, destroys the human heart, and takes away the joy of life.

David prayed, “I acknowledged my sin to You, and my iniquity I did not hide; I said, ‘I will confess my transgressions to the LORD;’ and you forgave the guilt of my sin” (vs. 5).  Until David did this courageous thing he said, “my body wasted away through my groaning all day long” (vs. 3).  Sin just isn’t worth it.  Inner dishonesty just isn’t worth it.  Hiding from truth just isn’t worth it.  

The joy of sins confessed and the forgiveness that comes with it led King David to say,  to those who would read his poem, “I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you” (vs 8).  The Message paraphrase of this verse reads, “Let me give you some good advice; I’m looking you in the eye and giving it to you straight.”  I suppose once you’ve experience the freedom that comes in getting real with God and yourself, you just have to share it and not hold back.  “I’m giving it to you straight,” said David.  

In the season of Lent, we are called to get real before God.  Honestly, we should get real with God everyday of our lives, but once in a while we just need to slow down, take our pulse and make sure that things between God and us, are okay.  It’s like that annual physical checkup.  It most likely will reveal that things are okay, and that you just need to keep doing what you’re doing to take care of yourself.  Occasionally, however, the doctor will tell you that the checkup is revealing something you need to do differently, in order to be in your best condition.  Sometimes it will start you on a journey that will call for a change in eating habits, or a call to lose a little weight, and maybe even point you in the direction of a necessary surgical procedure.  Checkups are a good thing.

Lent shows us that God is calling to us on behalf of His best will and interest for us.  To this, David says, “he who trusts in the Lord, lovingkindness shall surround him” (vs. 10).  God is for us.  He won’t force us, but He is for us.  So, David concludes, “Be glad in the Lord and rejoice, you righteous ones; and shout for joy, all you who are upright in heart” (vs. 11).

As you journey to Good Friday and Easter, remember God is for you.  He wants the best for you.  You have no better cheerleader than God.  Gratefully take His grace and live.

No comments: