Monday, March 30, 2020

Lent, Day 29: WHEN I AM OVERWHELMED


The psalmist was going through what were, for him, horrific times.  Does that sound vaguely familiar?  How many times have you and I been in horrific times.  Sometimes life hits us so hard that it leaves us reeling in physical or emotional pain.  The psalmist describes his issues this way: “The enemy has persecuted my soul; he has crushed my life to the ground…My spirit is overwhelmed within me; my heart is appalled within me” (vs. 3-4).  He was hurting and the pain was overwhelming.  What did he do?  Several things, really.  He remembered the faithfulness of God in the past.  He meditated upon the works of God.  He said, “I muse on the work of Your hands.  I stretch out my hands to You; My soul longs for You, as a parched land” (vs. 5-6). 

The Season of Lent is a good time to remember that we are not yet home.  We live in what C. S. Lewis called, “a dangerous world.”  There are issues all around us seeking to undermine the reality of God in our lives.  In his 1721 song , “Am I a Soldier of the Cross,” Isaac Watts asked, “Is this vile world a friend to grace, To help me on to God?” Even though there are countless things in the world that are beautiful and wonderful, the truth is, our world is not a friend to grace.  Mr. Lewis was right, the world is a dangerous place.  It needs to be navigated very carefully and mindfully.  Curves can be thrown at us from out of the blue.  People hurt and suffer and die.  War and crime and unrest are rooted throughout the world.  We live in a very real world, and we are not yet home.

The psalmist can help us on our journey.  He helps us pray for help.  He helps us ask God to teach us and to lift up our souls (vs. 8).  He helps us to affirm our trust in God (vs. 10).  He helps us draw near God and to come within God’s loving embrace.  He helps us bring our lives to God.  Some people run away from God when things get tough.  The psalmist helps us run to God in our overwhelming circumstances. 

In His desert experience, Jesus didn’t run from danger.  He ran into the danger, faced down the enemy, trusted His Father, and came out victorious on the other side.  He turn His life and conditions over to God, and stood His ground when the enemy sought to take Him down.  In his own way, the psalmist also did this, and in the end he said to God, “I am Your servant” (vs. 12).  

This prompts me to ask myself whose servant I am.  Who do I run to in the time of trial?  How do I face the enemy of my life?  When I say I believe in God, do I really mean it?  Do I act like it?  Do I model it?  Can I honestly say to God, “You are my God…I am Your servant” (vs. 10, 12)?  

Hear these wonderful words from an anonymous writer,

Trust Him when dark doubts assail thee,  
trust Him when thy strength is small, 
Trust Him when to simply trust Him  
seems the hardest thing of all.
 Trust Him, He is ever faithful; 
Trust Him, for his will is best.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This was a comfort in what is a very overwhelming time. My panic attacks have increased as I work hard to stay calm and avoid media hype and political manipulation.