Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Lent, Day 25: WHO IS THIS MAN?


When the Pharisees saw what Jesus was doing, they concluded that the devil was among the people.  They said, “He casts out the demons by the rule of the demons” (vs. 34).

Two blind men cried out to Jesus for mercy and he gave them back their sight.  The conclusion?  “He cast out the demons by the ruler of the demons.”  A mute who was demon-possessed was brought to Jesus, and Jesus cast out the demon and gave the man back his life.  The conclusion?  “He casts out the demons by the ruler of the demons.”  No gratitude.  No thanksgiving.  No celebration.  None of this, just the conclusion that the devil was among the people in Jesus.

In I Corinthians 2:14, the apostle Paul wrote, “a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised.” Perhaps this is why so many people just cannot believe in Jesus.  They are blinded for whatever the reason, and they simply do not see God’s great grace at work in the world.

When will we learn?  Martin Luther King Jr said, “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”  The enemy of our souls isn’t about healing; Jesus is about healing.  The enemy could care less if we are blind or demon-possessed.  It matters deeply to Jesus, and Jesus is the Great Physician.  

What do you see when you look into the eyes of Jesus Darkness?  Hope?  What do you see?  More than this, though, who do you really see?  Someone who lives in the power of “the ruler of the demons”?  Someone who has greater power than “the ruler of the demons”?  Someone who couldn’t care less about you and your loved ones, or someone who cares profoundly for you and your loved ones? 

The philosopher, Henri Bergson said, “The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.”  This makes me look deep within my own mind to see what I am really prepared to comprehend.  I know me, and I need to slow down sometimes, open my ears and eyes, close my mouth, observe and listen.  I think sometimes in the past I have missed Jesus when He was very present.  I simply didn’t see Him.  I didn’t hear Him.  Sadly, I didn’t recognize this until much later.  Grace was staring me down, and I saw only pain and frustration and confusion.  So sad.

If you need to, would you join me again at the altar of God in this Lenten Season, and seek to listen more closely, to see more clearly, and to ask God to give us spiritual eyes and ears, so that we might be able to spiritually appraise what is in front of us?

No comments: