Wednesday, September 04, 2024

NOTICE THE DIRT

 Dear Brothers and Sisters,

I Think in was in a letter to a Mary Neylan (January 20, 1942), C.S. Lewis says an insightful and liberating things.  He wrote, 

I know all about the despair of overcoming chronic temptations. It is not serious, provided self-offended petulance, annoyance at breaking records, impatience etc. don’t get the upper hand. No amount of falls will really undo us if we keep picking ourselves up each time. We shall of course be very muddy and tattered children by the time we reach home. But the bathrooms are all ready, the towels put out, and the clean clothes are in the airing cupboard. The only fatal thing is to lose one’s temper and give it up. It is when we notice the dirt that God is most present in us; it is the very sign of His presence.  - From  The Collected Letters of C. S. Lewis, Volume II

Is this not an amazing thought?  “It is when we notice the dirt that God is most present in us;  it is the very sign of His presence.”  I love these words.  I have always thought that it is those who are closest to God who feel the most unclean.  Sinfulness in the presence of holiness, should make us squirm.  Sadly, at least in my circles, I was taught that the closer you walk with God the more aware of your holiness you would be.  However, in my life at least, I have not found this to be true.  I have found that the closer I walk to utter holiness the more aware of my unholiness I become.  Also, and because of the unbelievable grace of God, standing in His presence fully aware of my unholiness, He does not write me off.  He embraces me and draws me to Himself.


God does not demand perfection of character but humility of character.  He invites us who do not deserve to be in His presence, to live in His presence.  “The very sign of His presence,” as Lewis says is that our “dirt” drives us closer and closer to Him, and in His presence, we are more self aware than at any other moment in our lives.  


So, in Christ, we don’t give up.  We keep on bringing our lives to God who keeps on Bringing His life to us.  In Him we find the place of grace, the place of growth, the place of renewal, the place of redemption, the place of forgiving love.  We bring our broken lives to His holy love, and we are healed.


Let's go out today and make God look good.

No comments: