Thursday, May 14, 2020

Day 33, On The Road To Pentecost: THEN THEIR EYES WERE OPENED


The rumor of Jesus’ resurrection was spreading, but many were skeptical even though they were hoping it might be true.  If it were true then life would never be the same again, and the resurrection would forever stand at the center of everything for those who believed.

Two of those who had believed in Jesus made their way to the town of Emmaus, a little town about seven miles from Jerusalem.  As they walked, they talked.  They talked about Jesus, his death, and the rumor that he had come back from the dead. Jesus joined them on the walk, not letting them know who He was.  As the three talked about the activities of the past few days, they formed a bond.  They listened to what this stranger was saying about Jesus and the purposes of God.  When they reached their destination they invited the stranger to stay for supper.  As they ate together, the stranger took bread, blessed it, broke it, and gave it to them.  In that moment a mysterious and wonderful thing took place.  Luke says, “…their eyes were opened and they recognized Him” (vs. 31).  Then they reflected upon their seven miles trek to Emmaus and said; “Were not our hearts burning within us while He was speaking to us on the road, while He was explaining the Scriptures to us?” (vs. 32).

The conversation between Jesus and these two people have often set me to thinking about how open my eyes are to the presence of Jesus.  Do I sense His presence in the ebb and flow of my own life?  Am I listening to the teaching, counseling, and guiding influence of His Word?  Have I quieted my busy life and been drawn into His presence so that my heart burned within me as He spoke to me?  The Psalmist gives us a prayer concerning this.  He writes, “Investigate my life, O God, find out everything about me; Cross-examine and test me, get a clear picture of what I’m about; See for yourself whether I’ve done anything wrong—then guide me on the road to eternal life” (Psalm 139:23-24, The Message).

John Henry Jowett says, “We are fashioned by our highest companionships.  We acquire the nature of those with whom we most constantly commune” (My Daily Meditation, June 27).  In this light, may our deepest companionship be with Jesus.  May we walk so close to Him that who He is will rub off on us.  May we live within the influence of His ongoing and amazing grace.  May our prayer be, 
Just as I am, without one plea,  
but that Thy blood was shed for me, 
And that Thou bid’st me come to Thee,  
O Lamb of God, I come! I come! 
Just as I am, Thou wilt receive,  
wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve; 
Because Thy promise I believe,  
O Lamb of God, I come, I come!
                                  Charlotte Elliott, 1834

No comments: