Saturday, May 09, 2020

Day 28, On The Road To Pentecost: GO, AND MAKE DISCIPLES

Matthew 28:16-20

While others were orchestrating lies to pass along as truth, the eleven disciples gathered with Jesus on a mountain in Galilee.  As soon as they saw Him, “they worshiped Him” (vs. 17).  In that moment of worship Jesus gave closing words to the faithful.  He said something that has motivated His Church for two thousand years,

All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age (Matthew 28:18-20).

As followers of Jesus, when we are doing it right, our authority rests in Jesus Christ alone.  In 1779, Edward Perronet put this truth into a poem, which became a great hymn of the Church, when he wrote,
All hail the power of Jesus' name! 
Let angels prostrate fall. 
Bring forth the royal diadem 
,and crown him Lord of all. 
Bring forth the royal diadem, 
and crown him Lord of all! 
All authority has been given to me,” said Jesus.  With this authority His church has encircled the globe with the Good News of Jesus Christ.  Wherever they have gone, His people have made disciples, “baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit” (vs. 20), and “teaching them to observe all” that Jesus “commanded” them (vs. 20).

Because of Jesus’ all surpassing power, I still sing a song I grew up singing.  I guess I would say it is my testimony of faith.  The words are.
My hope is built on nothing less  
than Jesus’ blood and righteousness. 
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,  
but wholly lean on Jesus’ name. 
On Christ the solid Rock, I stand.   
                          (Edward Mote, 1834) 
Father, help us never underestimate the power of Jesus' authority.  Amen.



Amen.

No comments: