Tuesday, February 25, 2020

GOD IN THE PRESENT TENSE

Introduction To This Lenten Devotional Series

Growing up in the San Joaquin valley of central California, I saw the hard and underappreciated work of the migrant worker.  It did not surprise me, when out of the shadows came a spokesman who sought to set things right.  His name was Cesar Chavez (1927-1993). Many of the people were poor migrant workers who had little or no voice in how they were treated. Chavez’s tireless efforts on their behalf improved working conditions for thousands. After his death, he became an icon for the Latino community.  To this day he is either loved or hated, depending upon your audience.  I always felt he simply wanted fair wages and working conditions.  To that end, when he prayed what came to be called the “Prayer of the farm workers’ struggle,” it resonated in my heart.  Here is that prayer.

Show me the suffering of the most miserable; So I will know my people's plight. Free me to pray for others; For you are present in every person. Help me to take responsibility for my own life; So that I can be free at last.Give me honesty and patience; So that I can work with other workers. Bring forth song and celebration; So that the Spirit will be alive among us.Let the Spirit flourish and grow; So that we will never tire of the struggle. Let us remember those who have died for justice; For they have given us life. Help us love even those who hate us; So we can change the world.  Amen

The Christian’s season of Lent draws me back to this prayer, and the call of God to be a voice for the voiceless, and an advocate for the poor.  It draws me back to a season of introspection and self-examination, seeking to be open and receptive to the call of God for His people to reflect the mind and spirit of Jesus.  It calls me to pray another prayer as I seek the face of God, 

Investigate my life, O God,    find out everything about me; Cross-examine and test me,Cross-examine and test me,    get a clear picture of what I’m about; See for yourself whether I’ve done anything wrong—See for yourself whether I’ve done anything wrong—    then guide me on the road to eternal life.  (Psalm 139:23-24, MSG).

I am praying that as you and I journey through the Lenten season on our pilgrimage to Good Friday, and Easter Sunday morning, we shall let the Holy Spirit work His work in us.  May God cleanse away anything that is not of Christ in us, and may we be open to be led down the “road to eternal life.”

May God help us not to be shaped and molded by the culture around us, but shaped and molded by the very life of God who, in Jesus, “Emptied Himself of all but love, and bled for Adam’s helpless race” (Charles Wesley, 1738). 

No comments: