Thursday, February 06, 2020

AN UNSOLICITED TESTIMONY

They called it Super Bowl LIV (54), and the world stopped for a few hours and watched a football game.   The number 54 means more to me, though.  It was 54 years ago today that I preached my first sermon (February 6, 1966).  I was 17 years old, terrified, and didn’t know if I could go through with it.  The Holy Spirit helped me, though, and the congregation didn’t fall apart.  It turned out to be a very good Sunday.

February 6, 1966 was one of a few life transforming moments in my life.  It was this event that helped me realize that maybe the call I felt in my heart was really real.  It catapulted me forward to go to college and to learn all I could learn about life and Scripture and God.  I’m still learning even at this late date in my life.

I am not a multi-gifted man.  I am a very ordinary man, called into a mission I do not deserve.  Years ago, I read words that have been helpful to me.  The sage simply said, “God does not call the qualified. He qualifies the called.”  Over the years I have not felt qualified; just the opposite, in fact.  I’ve always felt that I was the least qualified person in any meeting of pastors I attended.  I still do, to this day.

I’m so glad, though, that years ago Jesus whispered into my ear, “Get over it. It’s not about you. I called you.  I will qualify you.  I will use you as I will. Trust me. I’ve got this.”  And what a ride it has been.

Today, I just want to thank my God for His love, for His faithfulness, and for His strength.  I believe the words of the Psalmist to be true, “He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty” (Psalm 91:1). 

I don’t know how much time I have left, but I want to use it to the glory of God.  I’m sure you do, too.  I love the chorus of Steve Green’s song, “Find Us Faithful.”  He writes,

Oh may all who come behind us find us faithful
May the fire of our devotion light their way
May the footprints that we leave
Lead them to believe
And the lives we live inspire them to obey.

I love the words of Deuteronomy 31:6, Joshua 1:5, and Hebrews 13:5, where God says, “I will never desert you, nor will I ever forsake you…”. I say, “Amen.”

Forward still, fellow Believers.  Forward still.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

And your words that you convey to your congregation are not lost on deaf ears - you are more gifted than you realize - your talents are observed by those you speak to...

Deanna

Unknown said...

That was very encouraging. I feel extremely unqualified and very ordinary. I am thankful for the example you have lived showing how God fills in the blanks for those who trust him.

Suzanne Petridis Mulcahy said...

I am so very grateful that you said YES to God's call and allowed Him to use you to build His kingdom. I have been blessed and received words from God though you over many years as a young teen, college kid, young married lady, mom of young kids, and now as a grandma! May God richly bless you, Pastor Rick! Thank you for everything over the years. Suzanne Petridis Mulcahy

Unknown said...

Pastor Rick , we were also blessed by your teaching at Brasee church Pasadena . Years are running fast . We are living in Sri Lanka. By the grace of God we are surviving. We often think of you & Vonnie & our blessed days at Bresee. May God continue to bless you both 🙏
Blessing Joe & Naveena

Unknown said...

MY BROTHER: THIS IS WHY I'VE ALWAYS BELIEVED IN YOU. YOU BLESSED MORE PEOPLE THAN YOU'LL EVER KNOW. GOD HAS BLESSED YOU AND WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO. LOVING YOU... JERRY FERGUSON