Saturday, July 14, 2012

Grace And Mercy Have Faces

 
I don't recommend cancer to anybody, but if you have to go through it, it is a gift the greatness of which is beyond description, to go through it in the grace and mercy of God. 
                       
In my journey grace and mercy have faces. They are the faces of the people of my little flock who love me and care about me, and who daily pray for me.  Their hugs and notes and gifts reflecting their hearts of love and prayer have touched me over and over in ways I am incapable of expressing.  I just don't have the words.  Bresee Church you may be small but you are great.  You remind me of another church who was praised by a missionary once for her "work of faith and labor of love and steadfastness of hope in our Lord Jesus" (I Thess. 1:3).  Paul's letter made it into the New Testament canon.  I'm quite sure this missive won't have that impact but I am also sure, that out of your lives flow grace and mercy.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.
                       
God's grace and mercy have another face, too. Her name is Vonnie.  On December 7, 1968 she said, "I do," and married me for better or worse; Over 43 years later I am quite convinced she really meant it.  Now, in this daunting health journey she has again incarnated God's grace and mercy to me. 
                       
On December 7, 1968 Vonnie didn't really know what she was getting into.  Forty-three years later, she knows it fully; and, get this, she still loves me.  Who would have thought it? I don't think I am missing the mark when I say she loves me even more.  And, as much as I know how to love, I love her with all my heart.
                       
Grace and mercy have faces, don't they.    

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

So beautiful. I love you so much!