Sunday, March 25, 2012

The "Even Though"

 Sometimes life takes us where we don't want to go.  Powers greater than ourselves speak and we find that whether or not we like it a journey has been give us.  The only thing we can do is decide how we will walk that journey.
           
David's testimony has become the testimony of countless millions of people; it is certainly mine -- "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, You are with me" (Ps. 23:4).  What a profound hope we have in Christ, our Shepherd.  Everyone who trusts in Christ says, "Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever" (Ps. 23:6). 
           
In Christ, we are not defined by what happens to us.  We are defined by Who walks with us.  Valleys come and valleys go but Jesus sticks with us "closer than a brother" (Prov. 18:24).  He says to us when we are on the journey, "Come to Me, all who are weary and heaven-laden, and I will give rest" (Matt. 11:28).  Each day He gives us strength for the journey.  Each day He lives in us as Lord and Savior.

Because of Jesus I can say,

Nothing that happens can hurt me
Whether I lose or win;
Life may be changed on the surface,
But I do my main living within.[1]
           
Because of Jesus we can say (and may I personalize it),

Through many dangers, toils and snares...
I have already come.
T''was Grace that brought me safe thus far...
and Grace will lead me home[2].


[1] This poem was written by the grandfather of a college roommate, David Rodes.  Dr. R.C. Gunstream was a District Superintendent in the Church of the Nazarene, a great pastor, and a wonderful man of God.
[2] Third verse of Amazing Grace by John Newton, 1779.
 

No comments: