Sunday, February 05, 2012

What Can I Do For My God Today?


The apostle Paul said to the early church, “I have a stewardship entrusted to me” (I Cor. 9:17).  With that clarity in mind he stepped into the history of the Church and became an evangelistic and Church planting voice, with implications still being realized even at this late date.
So committed to that “stewardship” was Paul that he said, “I do all things for the sake of the gospel, so that I may become a fellow partaker of it” (I Cor. 9:23).  He defined himself by the presence of God in his life, and any action that was inconsistent with God’s presence was jettisoned away. His heart beat to introduce people to Jesus Christ. 
But, we’re not Paul.  God has not called us to shake the foundations of the world as He seemed to do in Paul.  Or has he?  Could it be that in our own sphere of influence we, too, can truthfully say, “I have a stewardship entrusted to me”?  I may not be Paul, but I am me.  The Holy Spirit dwells in me, and calls me to Himself.  Isn’t that true for all of us who have dared trust in Jesus Christ?
Is it not true that even in our limited sphere of influence God calls us to “do all things for the sake of the gospel”?  Isn’t it true that God has so impacted our lives by His grace that it is unthinkable we should do anything that would not elevate that grace in our world? 
The Gospel song says, “Living for Jesus—O what rest!  Pleasing my Savior, I am blest.  Only to live for Him alone, Doing His will till life is done!”  So, we say, along with Paul, I do all things for sake of the gospel.”[1]
What can I do for my God today?


[1] “Living For Jesus,” by Charles F. Weigle, 1903; verse 2

No comments: