Saturday, March 05, 2011

I look at my world and realize how much it needs a Shepherd and how it doesn’t seem to have the foggiest notion about what it means to pursue the ways of God. On top of that, I look at my world and see that in the way things are now, it seem like it is falling apart.

Psalm 4:2 asks the question, “How long will you love what is worthless and aim at deception?” That’s a probing question isn’t it? “How long will you love what is worthless and aim at deception?”

I hear that question and realize that we live in a world where some things are worthless and rooted in lies and falsehood, and those things need to be jettisoned from our lives; dropped out of our life experience because they steal, kill and destroy (John 10:10a). Can’t you almost hear God saying, “Let them go. They are no good for you. Drop the dead weight and be free in your soul”?

Psalm 14:2 says, “The Lord has looked down from heaven upon the sons of men, to see if there are any who understand, who seek after God.” There are many people who simply don’t believe in God or who don’t believe God has a claim to their lives. The Bible says there are people who have “turned aside; together they have become corrupt; there is no one who does good, not even one” (Ps 14:1-2). It’s a haunting thought, and it may be the reason behind the fact that God is looking down from heaven for people who understand and who seek after Him.

The question seems to come down to whether or not we will love what is worthless and aim at deception or will we seek after God. That’s about what it comes to, isn’t it? I think people need to ask themselves, “Do I want to live a life that is enveloped by the grace and love of God or am I content to go through my days pretending that everything is okay when deep down inside my life I know things aren’t okay.

Jesus invites us to be enveloped by the grace and love of God.

No comments: