Thursday, April 06, 2023

Maundy Thursday: THE SERVANT HEART

Scripture:   John 13:1-17, 31b-35 


Focus on the Word


On the night He was betrayed Jesus shared a meal with His disciples.  After supper He worked His way around the table, and as He came to each disciple, He washed their feet.  He acknowledged to them that they were right in calling Him, "Teacher and Lord" (John 13:13, NASB), and that if they were really His students and servants they would have the same servant heart toward each other as He had toward them.  Then He said an amazing thing to them, something that has literally impacted and changed the world.  He said, 


A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another.  By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another" (John 13:34-35, NASB).


On the night He was betrayed Jesus talked about love.  He wanted His disciples to remember the one nonnegotiable – "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.  This is the great and foremost commandment" (Matthew 22:37-38, NASB).  In a few hours, on the cross, He would live out His commandment.  


On this Thursday, facing His own death, Jesus embraces His little church into His heart and calls it to live in the love of God.  Soon, He will be under arrest, go through the mockery of a trial, suffer at the hands of those who had no room for the love of God in their hearts, and then die a death He did not deserve.  All throughout Jesus will hold to His integrity, practice what He preached, and glorify His Father.  


In Lent Jesus' Church reminds itself that it has been purchased at a great cost.  We remember that were it not for God's amazing grace, we would be without hope in the world.  We humble ourselves, ask God to search our hearts, to purge them of anything not of love, and we weep as we see Jesus handcuffed and taken away into the night.



Today’s Prayer


Heavenly Father, draw me to your heart and fill me with Your love.  Help me to unite my life with Yours so that You will be the One voice that captures my imagination. Help me to love others with the love in which You embrace me.  There is too much hate in the world.  Drive out the hate by the love I see in Jesus.  Lead me into the messy middle of things and there to live and move and have my being in Your love, because You are love.  Fill me with Your Spirit, that I may be the voice of love in my world.  In Jesus name I ask these things.  Amen.

No comments: