Friday, April 10, 2020

Lent, Day 39 Good Friday: NO STATELY FORM OR MAJESTY


I never really know what to say on Good Friday.  This a day of silence and soul searching for me.  So, may I turn to John Newton who, in writing his testimony about the cross, spoke for me?  Maybe he speaks for you, too.  In 1779, this former captain of slave ships, wrote these words, 

I saw One hanging on a tree,
In agony and blood;
He fixed His loving eyes on me,
As near His cross I stood.

Sure, never to my latest breath,
Can I forget that look;
It seemed to charge me with His death,
Though not a word He spoke. 

My conscience felt and owned the guilt,
And plunged me in despair:
I saw my sins His blood had spilt
And helped to nail Him there. 

A second look He gave, which said,
“I freely all forgive:
This blood is for your ransom paid,
I die that you may live.” 

O, can it be, upon a tree
The Savior died for me?
My soul is thrilled, my heart is filled,
To think He died for me!

On his tombstone, Newton had these words printed,
"John Newton, Clerk, once an infidel and libertine, a servant of slaves in Africa, was, by the rich mercy of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, preserved, restored, pardoned, and appointed to preach the faith he had long labored to destroy."
What is it the old song says,  
At the cross, at the cross, where I first saw the light,  
and the burden of my heart rolled away.   
It was there by faith I received my sight,  
and now I am happy all the day!
                             (Ralph E. Hudson, 1885)                                 


No comments: