Thursday, October 31, 2013

A REFLECTION ON THE QUESTION, “IS THERE ONLY ONE WAY TO GOD?”


We’ve all heard this question and maybe even asked it ourselves.  I think it is a fair question, begging for a discussion.  Last weekend pastor Dave took on this question and I, for one, am glad he did.  As I sat under the teaching I was confronted with my own prejudices and predispositions, and to the fact that I don’t have a corner on truth, God or life after death.

With all my heart I believe Jesus is the messiah of God.  There aren’t too many issues I am prepared to die for but this is one of those issues.  Eliza Hewitt articulated my testimony years ago and I turn to it often.  She wrote,

My faith has found a resting place
Not in device or creed;
I trust the ever-living One—
His wounds for me shall plead…
I need no other argment,
I need no other plea;
It is enough that Jesus died,
And that He died for me.

Rooted in this Faith is the fact that God is holy.  Reginal Heber said it so well in the words,

Holy, holy, holy!  Lord God Almighty…
Holy, holy, holy!  Merciful and mighty,
God in three persons, blessed Trinity!
Holy, holy, holy…only thou art holy;
there is none beside thee,
perfect in power, in love and purity.

There are some things the Bible tells us about God.  For instance, we know only God is holy.  Only God is perfect in power, in love and purity.  Only God knows what is in the human heart. Only God is qualified to judge how people come to Him.

I have some friends in the faith who seem always to be asking who’s in and who’s out when it comes to eternal life and heaven.  Not only do they ask the questions, they know the answer. They know the answer so succinctly that if certain things are not addressed in certain ways, then by this they know a person is out.  I don’t think they would agree with me but in there thinking God has been narrowed down to a certain way of being in the world, and people need to know the secret key to coming to God in the world. 

I think God is bigger than our belief about Him.  I believe Jesus is a Savior for the whole world and that He is not limited in how he chooses to draw near people.  His grace is so lavished on the world that we would be stunned at how big the heart of God is should we be able to measure it.  It is not ours to judge who’s in or who’s out; that’s God’s business.  Our business is to live a redeemed life in the world that stands as a fragrant aroma of God -- salt, light, truth, justice, love, acceptance, and forgiveness.  I will unashamedly proclaim Jesus until the day I die, but I will not limit God in any way, shape, or form.  He doesn’t want anyone to perish, and He is constantly present in the world seeking and searching for prodigals of a thousand kinds.

The father in Jesus’ story of the prodigal son is outrageous in his forgiveness of his wayward son.  The son comes back home not to be a son anymore but to be a hired-hand on the family farm. He didn’t understand the depth of love the father had for him. Upon arrival he encounters a father who would have nothing to do with hiring a new employee.  He didn’t need another hired hand; He wanted his son back in the fold.  The father literally trips all over himself as he leaps off the front porch, lifts up the skirts of his garment so he can run better, and races out to meet the son who has come home.

Is God like that?  Could he be more willing to save us than we are to be saved?  Is God so gracious that we don’t even have to “get it right” before he will leap off the front porch and run to us with arms open wide and a heart filled with forgiveness?  Has God really established a series of T’s to cross and I’s to dot before we can get in?  Is God that narrow?  Does the cross reveal a narrow God or a God who will forgive even a thief at the moment of his death, a thief who never had a chance to get it right, but had just a crucial moment to cry, “Help”?

I surely hope and pray that God does not write people off too easily.  He didn’t write me off and, Lord knows, He could have.  Charles Wesley wrote that God “emptied Himself of all but love and bled for Adam’s helpless race.”  That doesn’t sound like a narrow God to me.  That sounds like a God who will fight against all the forces of hell itself to find that son and daughter of Adam’s helpless race.

If it is true that human beings look on outward things but that God looks on the heart, maybe we ought not to be too quick to fulfill God’s part. Maybe we should trust God to be “holy…merciful…mighty…perfect in power, in love and purity.”  One of the things we know about Jesus is that each step along the way He got it right. He can be trusted.  We don’t have to fret over who’s in and who’s out.  Jesus’ words are never, “Get in or get out.”  His words are always, “Get in…Get in.” 

We may or may not get our speech down perfectly but we know that God will come running to us in mercy, love, acceptance, and forgiveness, even if we didn’t get it right.  Isn’t it a wonderful thing to know that we don’t have to judge people?  That’s God’s assignment.  Our assignment is to abide in Jesus, to be His witnesses in the world, and to live as His ambassadors.  He is our story.  He loves everybody in our world and whosoever will may come to Him.  He sees perfectly and we can rest in that awareness.  We don’t judge.  We pray and live and witness and share and invite, and then we let it all go to the God who “emptied Himself of all but love and bled for Adam’s helpless race.”  

No comments: