Saturday, March 02, 2013

HOW AWESOME IS THIS PLACE


Augustine said that the “signs of the Trinity” were all throughout the world.  If he is right, and I think he is, it occurs to me that I ought to seek to be a bit more attentive to the presence of God in my world.
           
Too often I meander through my days, caught up in whatever it is that has caught me up, and I live unaware of the ever-present and astonishing reality of God.  I have discovered that the routine can become the normal and that the normal can lull me to sleep so that I missed the awe and wonder of God.
           
Do you remember the story of Jacob and the dream he had one night in which there was a ladder rising up to heaven and on the ladder, coming and going, were angels?  When he awoke he said, “Surely the Lord is in this place, and I did not know it…. How awesome is this place!  This is none other than the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven” (Genesis 28:16-17).
           
What a confession! “Surely the Lord is in this place, and I did not know it.” Too often, this has been my story.  Life and stuff and schedules and people and the clock and, did I mention stuff, distract me from the greatest of all realities, that God is here, in this place, right now, here, really. 
           
Yet, this is too big to miss.  If I miss this, I have missed too much.  God is here, really; and, He is at work in amazing grace and marvelous love and awesome forgiveness.  Wherever I am “is none other than the house of God, the gate of heaven.” 

HOW AWESOME IS THIS PLACE.

No comments: