Saturday, November 12, 2011

I like the question, “What Can I do for my God?”. It personalizes for me the fact that I really do love God and I really do want to live for Him. This is a settled issue for me. What is fluid in my faith is the matter of being about living for God so that my love for Him will shine through in all I do.

As Christians we are about the vocation of living in response to the love of God embracing us through Jesus. We are loved. All the way to death and beyond Jesus acts on behalf of the love of God. We love because He first loved us. I John 4:10 says, “In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.” Later John says, “For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and His commandments are not burdensome” (I John 5:3).


The love of God for us moves us to be faithful to His will and His ways; so, the question comes: In light of how much God loves me, what can I do for my God?” Jesus likens it to a taking of what has been given us, and then being stewards of that gift. In a parable he spoke of three different people, each of whom had received “talents,” one was given five, one was given two, and one was given one.


A talent was an economic term equaling about fifteen years worth of wages. Each person was entrusted with quite a large sum of money, but how they lived out their stewardship was not to be a comparative thing. Faithfulness was the issue. Be it five, two, or one talent, the amount of return on the investment wasn’t so much the issue as was the fact that the holder of the talent was faithful in the execution of the stewardship of what had been entrusted to him.


What can we do for our God just because we love Him?


1 comment:

Brian & Erin said...

Thanks for the reminder...you're missed, brother.

Brian