Sunday, April 03, 2011

We live in a busy world that seems never to slow down much. It’s really a 24/7 world. Even the freeways (of Southern California at least) are busy at all hours of the day and night. Busyness seems to be a badge of honor to many people. Cell phones interrupt conversations routinely because the thought of turning them off or placing them on silent mode is simply unthinkable. Many people in our age can’t slow down or intentionally disconnect from the outside world. As a result, we live tired, tense, and frustrated, always wondering why we’re tired, tense, and frustrated.

God has a word for us concerning this. It is the wonderful word REST. The ancient prophet wrote of God, “The steadfast of mind You will keep in perfect peace because he trusts in You.” (Isaiah 26:3). Jesus said, “I will give you rest” (Matt. 11:28). These thoughts raise a couple of question. Who do we ultimately trust? On whom do we keep our thoughts centered? The answer we give impacts whether or not the peace of God will be free to embrace our lives.

Personally, I am not asking God for a slower life. I like the fast pace; I enjoy the tempo. I find myself more productive when I am under pressure and must create for myself deadlines, deadlines that keep me focused in a world where distraction comes far too easy. What I am asking for is the presence of God to be so real in me that I will never let anything or anyone jettison Him from being front and center in my life. Some things are non negotiable; this is one of them.

In the midst of noise and busyness our minds and hearts can be fixed on God. Let nothing interfere with this. God Almighty Himself is with us, and His presence is a calming embrace. Let Him embrace you.

No comments: