Wednesday, June 24, 2009

THE POWER OF QUESTIONS

Along time ago I decided it wasn’t my job to make people happy. I don’t mind making people happy, and I do try to be an uplifting and positive influence, but if I don’t make people happy I don’t lose sleep over it.

Rather than making people happy I would rather be a voice that might lead them to think about things. I love to raise questions. I believe great exclamation points can be driven into the soul with a strategic question. And, it is usually a question of some kind that gets us thinking.

Most of us have been told about how powerful the who, what, where, how, when and why questions are. They seem to come up in just about every conversation, sometimes overtly and sometimes covertly.

Sometimes asking the right question is more powerful than what the answer to the question might be. I know in my life I want to know the truth about things, as much truth as I can know, at least. I don’t want to become stagnant; I want to grow. I don’t want to have to guess at answers but to wrestle with all necessary questions in order to get as clear an understanding as possible.

I’d rather know that I’m asking good questions than to be fed information that simply feeds my already existing worldview. Knowledge is freedom; at least internal freedom, which is the most important kind of freedom imaginable. Asking the hard questions, if they are the right questions, will lead to powerful revolutions where the powers that be can’t rest on their laurels or their own self-written press releases, and the powers that aren’t can’t rest in the pity of powerlessness.

Sometimes certain people have spoken right questions into my life and they didn’t make me happy. In fact, they made me mad. And, I love them for it because it is not their job to make me happy. It is their job to love me enough to tell me the truth, and to get me thinking. Do that and you have once again parted the waters of the Red Sea.

No comments: