Saturday, January 10, 2009

WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT

Thirty years after His birth in a manger Jesus steps out of obscurity and into the waters of the Jordan to be baptized by one John the Baptist. Except for a couple of snapshots of isolated events, we don’t know much about those thirty years. The Gospel of Luke tells us that during this time “Jesus kept increasing in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men” (Luke 2:52), and that’s about all we know. The Gospel of Mark picks up the story at what appears to be Jesus’ inauguration into public ministry.

After waiting His turn in line Jesus came up out of the waters met by “a dove descending upon Him. Then a voice spoke to Him, “You are My beloved Son, in You I am well-pleased” (Mark 1:10-11). Those who witnessed the event said that it was the Holy Spirit in the form of a dove that descended upon Jesus and that the “voice came out of the heavens.”

John would later declare that Jesus was the one of whom he said, “After me One is coming who is mightier than I…He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit” (Mark 1:7-8; John 1:27; Matt. 3:11).

At the heart of all that Jesus Christ brings to the world is the baptism with the Holy Spirit. Water baptism is huge and I cherish that Sunday afternoon so many years ago that I was baptized, but that beginning led me to something more. I needed God to work a work deep down inside my life where nobody lived but me and where nobody really knew what was going on there except for God and me. I needed an inward work that could not be touched by water but only by the presence of the Holy Spirit.

Jesus came to set our hearts on fire with God. He came to work the works of God deep within our lives. The One of whom the Father said, “In You I am well-pleased,” sets our hearts on fire with God so much so that God can honestly say to you and me that in our lives He is well pleased. Wouldn’t it be great to hear God say, ”Well done good and faithful servant” (Matt. 25:23)?

No comments: